The Civil Human Rights Front will organise a mass march this Sunday in protest of the government, urging an end to alleged police and triad violence.
It is proposed that the march will begin at Victoria Park in Causeway Bay at 3pm and end at Chater Road in Central, though it is pending police approval.
Marchers are set to demand an independent investigation into alleged police violence. They will also urge the Hong Kong government to agree to the anti-extradition law movement’s demands, including a complete withdrawal of the bill, the release of all protesters, a retraction of the “riot” characterisation of protests and universal suffrage.
The Front also demanded answers over the Yuen Long mob attacks where 45 people were injured by men in white shirts around the MTR station in July. Some of those arrested over the incident had triad backgrounds.
Jimmy Sham, convener of the coalition, said that Chief Executive Carrie Lam has failed to respond to any of the demands put forward by the Hong Kong people.
“Carrie Lam is treating us as fools, thinking that we will not remember anything,” Sham said. “Our society is now a society whereby officials do not have to be responsible, and disciplinary forces do not have to follow discipline.”
“This is not about political views. This is about moral values and conscience,” he added.
Sham said the march will be entirely peaceful. It comes after the Front organised two huge mass protests in June which they said were attended by millions.
“We believe there will not be any after-events,” Sham said. “We believe police should not make any limitations.”
Marches previously planned for Sunday in the Tsuen Wan, Kwai Chung and Tsing Yi district will be postponed.
The city has been roiled by over two months of protests related to a now-suspended extradition bill. China on Monday described unrest in Hong Kong as a sign of “terrorism emerging.
On Sunday, the Hong Kong police fired tear gas inside Kwai Fong MTR station and shot protesters at close range at Tai Koo MTR station. Some officers were disguised as protesters, as one protester had her right eye ruptured, apparently caused by a bean bag round fired by police in Tsim Sha Tsui. Chief Executive Carrie Lam defended the police on Tuesday.
This Sunday’s march – if approved – will come after a Friday rally at Chater Garden in Central urging the US and UK to support the movement.
More protests on Tuesday
Protesters flooded the airport on Monday in protest to spread their demands to tourists, leaving at around 6pm after flights were cancelled for the day. However, on Tuesday afternoon, protesters returned to the airport again.
Meanwhile, medical professionals at seven hospitals also conducted a sit-in at noon to protest against alleged police brutality.
🔴HKFP_Live: Medical staff are staging a rare sit in over alleged police violence at Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
Posted by Hong Kong Free Press HKFP on Monday, 12 August 2019
Over 100 appeared at the sit-in action at Queen Elizabeth Hospital bearing placards stating “Hong Kong police attempt to murder Hong Kong citizens.”
“We are slowly edging towards a humanitarian crisis in Hong Kong, it is only a matter of time before someone is getting killed,” a doctor who gave his name as Tim told HKFP. “There’s only one person who can stop all this madness – that would be Carrie Lam.”
He said he has seen people suffering long-term effects owing to sustained exposure to tear gas: “I think tear gas should not be used in densely populated areas and in such a large quantity, because tear gas is toxic fumes, basically, and – with increased concentration in the area, there will be an increased exposure.”
The doctor said most of those attending were on their break or off duty, so medical services were not affected.
Vicky Lam, a nurse, who wore an eye patch in protest, told HKFP: “Even if the citizens do nothing, [police] are very violent and hit them and shoot at a very close distance… As a professional, we want to stand up and protect the citizens against the violence of police.”