Three protesters earlier convicted of rioting during the unrest in Mong Kok last year have appealed their three-year prison sentences.
The secretary for justice said on Tuesday that students Hui Ka-ki and Mak Tsz-hei filed appeals over their convictions and sentences last Wednesday and Thursday respectively.
On Tuesday, the secretary for justice received the appeal of chef Sit Tat-wing.
The trio were the first to be convicted of rioting by the District Court in relation to the clashes. Two weeks ago, Judge Sham Siu-man said that rioting necessitated a deterrent sentence, which he handed down on March 17.
See also: Mong Kok Unrest
In his ruling, Judge Sham had rejected defendants Mak and Sit’s defences that they had only been mere observers on the night. He said that Sit should not have run away along with the crowd, if he did not want police to confuse him with a rioter. He added that Sit should have stood by the shops or to the side.
The violent clashes broke out last year on the night of February 9 – Lunar New Year – over the government’s attempt to clear street hawkers.
90 people have been arrested so far in relation to the incident.