Hong Kong Travel & Transport

Ocean Park loses over a million visitors in 2015 – biggest drop in years

Ocean Park has seen a dip in visitors of 14 percent over the past year. In 2014, Ocean Park saw a total of 7.8 million visits – the highest number ever recorded. However, ticket sales slumped by over a million in 2015 to 6.7 million.

Ocean Park Corporation chairman Leo Kung said that this was due to a drop in mainland tourists coming to Hong Kong; last year, mainland visitors to the park fell by 20 to 30 percent.

Ocean Park

Ocean Park. Photo: Wikimedia Commons via Anniewongw.

Mainland visitors account for 50 percent and local visitors make up around 30 to 35 percent of ticket sales. However, there was an upward trend in locals visiting the amusement park due to promotions targeted towards them in January. There was also a rise in Indonesian and Filipino visitors.

Despite the overall fall, the park said that all the employees would receive a pay rise of 2 to 6 percent, as well as a bonus equivalent to one month’s salary.

Hotel green light

It was also announced on Thursday that the tender for the theme park’s Fullerton Hotel project had been jointly won by Sino Land and Empire Group, the latter owned by Walter Kwok, former chairman of Sung Hung Kai Properties. The project is expected to be completed in 2020.

Ocean Park Corporation Deputy Chief Executive Matthias Li said that in reviewing the tender applications, the company looked at whether or not the design made good use of the scenery in Tai Shue Wan. It also considered whether the design would be approved by the Town Planning Board and the District Council.

The park is expected to be developed into a resort area once the MTR has reached it. It will also unveil a new water park in 2018.

Last November, it was announced that Ocean Park is one of the tourist attractions that will receive funding from the government to enhance its overseas promotions.

Ocean Park loses over a million visitors in 2015 - biggest drop in years