Run by journalists, not-for-profit and completely independent, Hong Kong Free Press invites applicants to join our team.
Looking to lead your own news team and help shape the future of the city’s most exciting news start-up? Hong Kong Free Press is seeking a full-time Managing Editor to join our hard-working team at The Hive, Wong Chuk Hang.
HKFP editors edit, re-write, polish and fact-check up to seven daily news stories, manage the homepage and prepare, schedule and promote each piece across social media. Our Managing Editor will also be trained to produce and manage multimedia content, prepare news wire pieces and publish external contributions to the website.
- Candidates should have experience in an editorial role, preferably at a Hong Kong news outlet.
- Familiarity with the Hong Kong political beat and an eye for news are a must.
- English-language fluency is essential, with zero tolerance for errors. The ability to read Chinese would be an advantage. Candidates must be self-directed, full of story ideas and have the ability to write/edit hard news stories with accuracy and speed.
- The ideal candidate would have excellent initiative, time-management and team-working skills. Experience with WordPress, Premiere and Photoshop are preferable. Photography and video skills, knowledge of the law, social networks, SEO and analytics would be a bonus.
Remuneration and benefits:
- Salary of HK$19,000-HK$29,000 depending upon experience.
- 14-days of leave per annum (rising to 21 days in the third contract), and all public and statutory holidays.
- International healthcare, dental and physio.
- Three months maternity and paternity leave.
- HKFP covers HKJA membership and mobile phone bills.
- Staff enjoy the many benefits of working at The Hive co-working space.
Open to local and foreign applicants. HKFP encourages applications from candidates from minority backgrounds.
Send your CV to [email protected] – please tell us about yourself, why you would like to work with us and how you fit the requirements by April 30, 2019. All applications are read and considered. Only successful applicants will be contacted within 1 week. HKFP’s recruitment process includes an interview, written tests and trial sessions.
Our mission: We aim to be the most independent and credible English-language news source in Greater China. We seek to amplify the voices of the voiceless, not the powerful. And our platform will act as a monitor should Hong Kong’s core values and freedoms be threatened. The HKFP team is fully committed to reporting the facts, without fear, favour or interference.
Read more about us here. Read about our impact in our Annual Report.
HKFP has no other job vacancies at the moment and does not have an internship/work experience programme.