Run by journalists, not-for-profit and completely independent, Hong Kong Free Press is expanding. We invite applicants to join our multi-media, multi-lingual team ahead of our relaunch in early 2020.
Whether it be covering elections, questioning top officials at press events, producing breaking news from the High Court, or reporting live from protest clashes, HKFP’s tight-knit, hard-working team is on the front line of Hong Kong’s political twists, turns and turmoil every day. We are in a privileged position to record the first draft of history and share our coverage with the world during a period of unprecedented conflict in the city.
All staff at HKFP have a high level of responsibility, independence and freedom to chase their own stories – we have no junior staff, and there is no such thing as a “slow news day.” If you thrive in a fast-paced environment and want to launch your career, or help shape the future of the city’s most exciting news start-up as we expand and relaunch next year, consider applying to join our newsroom.
Our mission: We aim to be the most independent and credible English-language news source in Greater China. We seek to amplify the voices of the voiceless, not the powerful. And our platform will act as a monitor should Hong Kong’s core values and freedoms be threatened. The HKFP team is fully committed to reporting the facts, without fear, favour or interference.
Read more about us here. Read about our impact in our Annual Report.
HKFP is seeking a full-time Senior Editor to join our team at The Hive, Wong Chuk Hang.
- HKFP editors edit, re-write, polish and fact-check up to six daily news stories, manage the homepage and prepare, schedule and promote each piece across social media.
- Our Senior Editor will also be trained to produce and manage multimedia content, prepare news wire pieces and publish external contributions to the website.
- Candidates must have experience in an editorial role at a Hong Kong news outlet.
- Familiarity with the Hong Kong political beat and an eye for news are essential.
- English-language fluency is essential, with zero tolerance for errors. The ability to read Chinese would be an advantage. Candidates must be self-directed, full of story ideas and have the ability to write/edit hard news stories with accuracy and speed.
- The ideal candidate would have excellent initiative, time-management and must be a team player. Experience with WordPress, Premiere and Photoshop are preferable. Photography and video skills, knowledge of the law, social networks, SEO and analytics would be a bonus.
Remuneration and benefits:
- HKFP offers a competitive salary – negotiable depending upon experience. The full-time contract is subject to a two-month probation period at 80% pay.
- 14-days of leave per annum in the first year, rising to 21 days in the third contract, in addition to all Hong Kong public and statutory holidays.
- International healthcare, dental and physio.
- A work laptop and Galaxy S10 work phone.
- Three months maternity and paternity leave.
- Optional mental health support in the form of counselling.
- Staff receive occasional bonuses, as well as Hong Kong Journalists Association membership.
- All staff enjoy opportunities to work remotely from home, or abroad, as well as opportunities to travel and represent the company.
- HKFP staff enjoy the many benefits of working at The Hive co-working space across Hong Kong and Asia.
How to apply: This role is open to both exceptional graduates and experienced journalists. Send your CV and examples of previous work to [email protected] – in your email, please tell us about yourself, why you would like to work with us and how you fit the requirements by December 31, 2019. All applications are read and considered. Only successful applicants will be contacted within two weeks. HKFP’s recruitment process includes an interview, written tests, reference checks and trial sessions. We encourage applications from candidates from minority backgrounds.
HKFP has no other job vacancies at the moment and does not have an internship/work experience programme.