Pro-Beijing lawmaker Junius Ho was discharged from hospital on Friday following a knife attack earlier in the week.
Ho, who is running in the District Council election on November 24, was campaigning near Richland Garden in Tuen Mun on Wednesday when a man approached him and thanked him for his work before stabbing him in the chest. The lawmaker said he was left with a wound approximately one and a half centimetres long and one centimetre deep.
Upon discharge, Ho was escorted out by police officers in a wheelchair, wearing a surgical mask. He made an “OK” gesture with his hand to reporters while leaving, according to RTHK.
He also told reporters that he would resume his campaigning activities soon.
An Apple Daily report cited an anonymous source as saying that Ho was given priority for an operation at the hospital after his position on the waiting list lept from 21 to four. The source accused the lawmaker of queue jumping. Asked about the allegation, Ho declined to comment.
Tung Pak-fai, 30, appeared at Fanling Magistrates’ Court on Friday morning accused of attacking Ho. Tung has been charged with attempted murder.
The case has been adjourned till February 3, 2020. Tung has been remanded in custody.
Ho has come under fire after he was filmed praising a group of white-clad men outside Yuen Long MTR station on the night of a mob attack against civilians nearby. At least 45 people were injured on July 21 when rod-wielding assailants, dressed in white, launched a violent assault on those passing through the station. At least eleven have been arrested in connection with the incident, with some confirmed to have triad backgrounds.
Hong Kong Free Press relies on direct reader support. Help safeguard independent journalism and press freedom as we invest more in freelancers, overtime, safety gear & insurance during this summer’s protests. 10 ways to support us.