Hong Kong Law & Crime Politics & Protest

Hong Kong court quashes conviction of former leader Donald Tsang

Hong Kong’s top court on Wednesday quashed a conviction against former leader Donald Tsang for misconduct in public office, bringing to a close a legal battle that had tarnished his reputation after what had been a stellar career.

Tsang, Hong Kong’s second leader since the city’s 1997 handover from British to Chinese rule, was the territory’s most senior official to be charged with a criminal offence. He had pleaded not guilty to misconduct charges in late 2015.

donald tsang

Donald Tsang. File photo: Reuters.

The Court of Appeal sent Tsang back to jail in July 2018 for 12 months following the dismissal of an appeal and he was released in January after suffering health issues throughout his sentence.

Tsang was jailed on a charge of misconduct in public office for failing to declare certain dealings with a business tycoon.

The Court of Final Appeal on Wednesday quashed his conviction and sentence, and said there would be no retrial.

“The appellant has already suffered what the Court of Appeal considered a just punishment for the offence in respect of which he would be re-tried,” the court said in its ruling.

“That weighs heavily in favour of a conclusion that the interests of justice do not require a new trial. There should not be such an order.”

Tsang, known for his love of bow ties, received a knighthood from Britain’s Queen Elizabeth. He was respected for pushing political reforms and helping to stave off speculative attacks on the Hong Kong dollar during the 1997 financial crisis.

The legal battle began in 2015 when Tsang was charged with misconduct in public office in a trial that centred around allegations of lavish spending on overseas duty visits and taking trips with tycoons by private jet and luxury yacht.

Tsang and his defence had stressed his years of upstanding public service during the trial. They maintained that he had done nothing wrong.

Reporting By Anne Marie Roantree; Editing by Michael Perry


The Hong Kong Free Press #PressForFreedom 2019 Funding Drive seeks to raise HK$1.2m to support our non-profit newsroom and dedicated team of multi-media, multi-lingual reporters. HKFP is backed by readers, run by journalists and is immune to political and commercial pressure. This year’s critical fundraiser will provide us with the essential funds to continue our work into next year.

funding drive press for freedom

Hong Kong court quashes conviction of former leader Donald Tsang