Hong Kong Politics & Protest

Activist ‘Long Hair’ Leung Kwok-hung barred from entering Japan to attend trial of Hongkongers

Former lawmaker “Long Hair” Leung Kwok-hung has been denied entry to Japan, after he landed in Tokyo on Sunday to attend a trial of two Hong Kong activists.

Activists Alex Kwok Siu-kit and Yim Man-wa were charged with trespassing following a protest at Tokyo’s Yasukuni Shrine last December. Kwok set a prop on fire representing a spirit tablet of Tojo Hideki – a general of the Imperial Japanese Army, who is honoured at the shrine. Yim shot a video on the site, as they demanded that Japan take responsibility for the Nanjing Massacre.

Leung Kwok-hung

Leung Kwok-hung. Photo: LSD.

The first session of the trial for the pair was conducted earlier this month. The pair were scheduled to appear at the second session of the trial on Tuesday in Japan, which has a conviction rate of over 99 per cent.

Between 50,000 and 300,000 Chinese were killed, and tens of thousands of women raped, as Japanese troops tore through Nanjing in late 1937 during the Second Sino-Japanese War.

昨天12月11日,南京大屠殺81週年前夕,保釣行動委員會派出兩名成員,郭紹傑(負責行動)和嚴敏華(負責拍攝),到日本東京靖國神社進行抗議行動,抗議日軍在八十一年前十二月十三日在南京進行大屠殺及日本政府至今還未有就此事向受害人道歉賠償。兩人於今天早上 6時30分在供奉甲級戰犯靖國神社門前,焚毀了寫上甲級戰犯東條英機的神主牌道具,並展示「毋忘南京大屠殺」橫額, 同時高喊「打倒日本軍國主義 」口號;及後兩人被日本人員帶走 ,情況在尚在了解中。保釣行動委員會

Posted by 保釣行動委員會 on Tuesday, 11 December 2018

Leung flew to Tokyo on Sunday afternoon. When he arrived that evening at Haneda Airport, he was barred from entry and deported back to Hong Kong.

He said some people had criticised the two activists for protesting in Japan, but he believed the protest was very reasonable: “After [former leader] Koizumi Junichiro visited the Yasukuni Shrine to honour war criminals, the Japanese government has no shame,” he said during a Facebook Live broadcast on Monday.

Leung Kwok-hung

Leung Kwok-hung (centre). Photo: LSD.

Leung told Ming Pao that when he arrived in Tokyo at 9:45pm on Sunday, he declared on his immigration card that he had a criminal record because of past protests. He said he was then questioned by immigration officers and was asked to reveal his itinerary, which he refused to do. He was deported afterwards.

Leung said he had thought of filing a complaint to the Japanese justice minister, but an immigration officer told him he would not be able to leave the airport for three days whilst a response was prepared. Leung, instead, gave up and returned to Hong Kong.

Yasukuni Shrine tokyo

Yasukuni Shrine. File Photo: HKFP.

He said the recent terror attack in New Zealand, which left 50 dead, shocked the whole world, but the Japanese army killed even more people during the Nanjing Massacre: “The actions to demand responsibility will not stop until Japan apologises and pays compensation for its invasion of China,” he added.

Activist 'Long Hair' Leung Kwok-hung barred from entering Japan to attend trial of Hongkongers