Chief Executive Carrie Lam has urged Tung Chung residents to be more tolerant of mainland tourists who travel to Hong Kong using the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau bridge.
Residents of Tung Chung, Lantau have been complaining about the influx of tourists during weekends who arrive via the 55-kilometre bridge that opened last month.
Last week, the bridge’s shuttle bus service provider implemented a new rule for group tours in an attempt to stem the number of tourists travelling to Tung Chung.
Lam said she noticed that the number of visitors has shrunk since last weekend, after the new rule was put in place.
“I will not say we have found a perfect solution, to satisfy all users of the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge including mainland people, tourists and local residents,” Lam said ahead of the weekly Executive Council meeting on Tuesday in which she pledged to continue looking into measures with transport and tourism sectors.
“[The bridge] is a very attractive world-class project which many people travel on in order to experience its magnificence,” she added.
“If we hear tourists or local residents are feeling inconvenience or unsatisfied, we will try to discuss this with Zhuhai and Macau government in order to improve the current arrangement. I hope residents will be more tolerant,” she said.
“We will continue to work on reducing the inconvenience caused for Tung Chung residents.”