Police have arrested two men after a number of fireworks released across Hong Kong over the Lunar New Year holidays.
Hongkongers reported fireworks being displayed in densely-populated residential locations such as Tin Shui Wai, Sau Man Ping, Tsuen Wan and Tuen Mun over the break.
Some Facebook users said that mini-fireworks displays happen every year, but others called them dangerous due to the risk of fire.
The official Lunar New Year fireworks ceremony in Victoria Harbour was cancelled following the fatal bus crash in Tai Po which killed 19 people. The fireworks prepared were destroyed at sea.
Following an anti-triad squad investigation, police conducted a raid of a shop near Hung Fuk Estate in Yuen Long at 5:10pm on Wednesday afternoon.
“We discovered around 10kg of fireworks and firecrackers worth around HK$4,000 on the market,” a police spokesperson told HKFP.
“During the operation, police arrested a 21-year-old local man surnamed Yiu and a 31-year-old man surnamed Kwok within the shop.”
“They have been detained for investigation on suspicion of illegally possessing fireworks and firecrackers.”
The spokesperson added that she was not aware of any other operations or arrests relating to the fireworks displays so far.
The private use of fireworks has been banned in Hong Kong since the 1960s, when they were recycled to make crude bombs during the Red Guard agitation. But the ban is often flouted in the New Territories.