The pro-Beijing chairperson of a Legislative Council committee has bemoaned former Hong Kong leader Leung Chun-ying’s lack of cooperation with a probe into his controversial HK$50 million payment from Australian firm UGL.
Select committee chairperson Paul Tse said that he has not received responses from various government departments when trying to investigate the matter.
Former chief executive Leung received what he described as a non-compete and non-poach payment of HK$50 million from engineering firm UGL after it acquired a company headed by Leung in 2011. The payments were made in 2012 and 2013, while Leung was in office, but were only made public by Australian media in 2014.
In 2016, Hong Kong’s legislature formed a select committee to investigate the matter. Last year, pro-Beijing lawmaker Holden Chow was forced to resign from the committee after secretly allowing Leung to alter documents related to the scope of the probe.
Probe may ‘vanish with no outcome’
“As we have no other evidence or witnesses at this stage to summon or to serve as the basis for our next enquiry, we haven’t made any decisions at present,” Tse told reporters on Wednesday following a committee closed-door meeting.
“We’ve basically asked all the relevant agencies, including Mr. Leung himself, the judicial authorities, tax authorities and the Secretariat of the Executive Council – and received no answers.”
“As we are not receiving the cooperation that we should be receiving, this committee faces a difficult task.”
“Will this [investigation] simply vanish with no outcome? I’m afraid we have to wait until after the next committee meeting to make a decision.”
Tse said in November that the former leader – now a member of China’s top political advisory body – has not attended committee hearings or provided it with the information it requested.
Pro-democracy lawmaker Lam Cheuk-ting travelled to the United Kingdom in the same month to report the matter to the National Crime Agency.