Hong Kong Law & Crime Politics & Protest

Retired cop accused of assaulting pedestrian testifies after court rules sufficient evidence to proceed

A magistrate has ruled that a case concerning retired cop Frankly Chu’s alleged assault of a pedestrian during the 2014 Occupy protests will proceed.

Principal magistrate Bina Chainrai ruled that there was sufficient preliminary evidence to continue at the Eastern Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday.

Frankly Chu

Frankly Chu. File Photo: Citizen News.

Chu, 57, has been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm for allegedly striking Osman Cheng on Nathan Road, Mong Kok during the Umbrella Movement demonstrations. Chu has pleaded not guilty and is represented by Peter Pannu, a former police officer-turned-barrister.

Court room drama

On Wednesday, in order to demonstrate the strength of the police baton during cross-examination, Pannu slammed the baton onto the table, causing documents to scatter. He was reprimanded by the magistrate, who said that it was unnecessary and that the court had not asked for a demonstration. Pannu apologised.

The defence argued that the prosecution to did not have enough evidence to prove that the victim suffered actual bodily harm, claiming that the baton only hit his shoulder. He added that there was a reasonable defence for it but the magistrate ruled that the case would proceed, Ming Pao reported.

eastern law court

File photo: Eastern Law Courts Building.

The defence is calling Chu, as well as Chief Superintendent Steve Hui – known for his “I will now recap in English” catchphrase during the Occupy protests. A third police officer will also testify.

Chu told the court that, on November 25, 2014 – the night before the incident – thousands were gathered in Mong Kok and the situation had been very unstable. The police were responsible for defending Argyle Street and his colleagues on duty had felt exhausted, he said.

Retired cop accused of assaulting pedestrian testifies after court rules sufficient evidence to proceed