A government investigation into the deaths of two workers in an accident at the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge has been completed, but the Highways Department will not yet publicise the report on the probe.
Two construction workers – one of whom a Nigerian national – died in March when they fell into the sea after a work platform at the site collapsed. The platform’s cables had snapped, leaving three others injured.
The Highways Department set up an independent investigation shortly thereafter, a report on which was completed in late June. In a Monday press release, the department said it has referred the findings to law enforcement agencies.
However, it added that the report would not be publicised so as not to affect ongoing investigations by other departments and possible prosecution procedures: “The department must adopt a prudent attitude and shall not disclose the contents of the investigation report… at this stage.”
The department said the Director of Highways would take measures, including the dismissal of responsible personnel, after reviewing the report.
Government inspections would no longer be pre-arranged, but surprise visits would be conducted, added the department.
There have been 10 deaths from accidents relating to the construction of the bridge since work began in 2011, reported Apple Daily.
Authorities have claimed that the bridge will reduce travelling time between the three key Pearl River Delta cities to only one hour, but the project has been criticised for increasing costs, repeated delays and causing the deaths of native Chinese White Dolphins.
Chinese President Xi Jinping toured the project on the last day of his visit last week to Hong Kong on July 1.