Hong Kong’s AsiaWorld-Expo says that it will tighten security measures in the wake of a suspected terrorist attack at a concert by American singer Ariana Grande in Manchester, which left at least 22 dead.
The 23-year-old pop star had been scheduled to perform at the venue in September, but the concert plans are now uncertain, as sources told entertainment news outlet TMZ that she has decided to “indefinitely suspend” her world tour.
Her promoter Live Nation, however, has not yet made any official announcement on her remaining dates.
The explosion occurred in the Manchester Arena’s foyer area at around 10:35pm UK time, reported the BBC. It also left over 50 injured as fans rushed to escape the venue.
from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words.
— Ariana Grande (@ArianaGrande) May 23, 2017
“broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry,” tweeted Grande. “i don’t have words.”
Heightened security in Hong Kong
The pop star announced earlier this month that she would perform in Hong Kong for the first time on September 21, following a date in Taipei.
Her scheduled venue AsiaWorld-Expo told local broadcaster RTHK that it would increase security measures at all upcoming concerts, examining the belongings of audience members with metal detectors.
The Lantau Island venue added that it will consider introducing smart GPS tracking bracelets, and employ search and rescue dogs to seek out suspicious items.
It expressed “deep regret and concern” over the attack in Manchester.
Upcoming performances at AsiaWorld-Expo include concerts by Korean singer Taeyon and a party by Korean actor Park Hae-jin, both in June.
HKFP has contacted Live Nation for comment.