Community & Education Hong Kong Law & Crime

1 killed, 2 injured in blaze at subdivided flat in Sham Shui Po

A blaze that broke out in the early hours of Thursday has left one person dead and two others injured.

The deadly fire occurred at around 3:53 am at a subdivided flat on Yee Kuk Street in Sham Shui Po. A spokesperson for the Fire Services Department said the blaze was suspicious as fire accelerants were discovered inside the flat. The police are following up on the incident.

fire sham shui po

Photo: Apple Daily.

The spokesperson said 10 fire trucks and a fire investigation dog were dispatched to the scene, and the blaze was extinguished within half an hour. A male body was found near the front door of the flat.

According to local media, the flat was divided into five units. Around 20 residents were evacuated to a nearby park, while two people with minor injuries were sent to hospital.

A resident told RTHK that she heard a quarrel between a man and a woman before the fire broke out.

Another fire in Cheung Sha Wan

Less than two hours later, a separate fire broke out at another subdivided flat on Un Chau Street in Cheung Sha Wan at about 5:27am. Un Chau Street is only a 15-minute walking distance from Yee Kuk Street, where the fatal blaze took place.

sham shui po fire

Photo: Google Maps.

All 27 people who were hospitalised for smoke inhalation remained conscious, RTHK reported. Around 160 people were evacuated during the fire.

fire sham shui po

Photo: Andrew Chong, via Facebook.

A cat was found unconscious at the fire scene. Firefighters performed CPR on the animal until it regained consciousness. It is in a stable condition, Apple Daily reported.

fire sham shui po

Photo: Apple Daily.

fire sham shui po

Photo: Apple Daily.

A spokesperson for the Fire Services Department said the flat in question was divided into four units, and the fire was put out at around 6am.

Police investigators said the fire was not suspicious and was likely to have been caused by a cigarette.

Comments

1 killed, 2 injured in blaze at subdivided flat in Sham Shui Po