Arts, Lifestyle & Events Hong Kong

Eight food trucks to begin operating after Lunar New Year

Eight food trucks will begin operations on February 2, the sixth day of the Lunar New Year, at tourist attractions.

A number of food trucks have completed the approval process and undergone vehicle examinations. They will hit the road once the necessary licenses and agreements with the operating venues are obtained and signed, Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development Gregory So Kam-leung said on Wednesday.

In July, the government chose 16 winners from a cooking contest held by the selection panel of the Food Truck Pilot Scheme. The remaining trucks will launch within February.

gregory so

Gregory So Kam-leung. Photo: GovHK.

According to So, the date was picked because the start of Lunar New Year symbolises good luck.

He said the government will also launch a mobile app for tourists and the public to locate the food trucks. The two-year scheme will be adjusted based on market responses and the public’s views towards it.

Gregory So (right) visiting a food truck in Australia in August.

Gregory So (right) visiting a food truck in Australia in August. Photo: Facebook/Greg So.

“Food trucks will bring a breath of fresh air to the tourism industry,” he said.

The food trucks will stationed at eight tourist attractions, including Hong Kong Disneyland, Golden Bauhinia Square in Wan Chai and the Central Harbourfront Event Space.

The introduction of gourmet trucks was proposed by Financial Secretary John Tsang in his budget early last year. 51 applications were chosen to participate in the contest out of 192 applicants in the initial round of screening.

Eight food trucks to begin operating after Lunar New Year