Hong Kong Law & Crime

Three more arrests in connection with Yau Ma Tei knife attack

Three more men were arrested on Tuesday afternoon in connection with Sunday’s Yau Ma Tei knife attack incident.

The three men, of South Asian origin, aged between 18 and 29, were arrested in Yau Ma Tei on suspicion of causing serious injury to the victim of the attack.

ymt-knife-update

Police officer displaying evidence found at the suspects’ homes (Left); Chief Inspector Kwan (Right). Photo: Ming Pao screenshot.

Chief Inspector Kwan of the Kowloon West regional crime unit said “the police immediately searched the homes of the suspects after they were arrested, and found physical evidence related to the attack.”  This included bloodied clothing, Ming Pao reported.

See also: DAB lawmaker-elect calls for crackdown on ‘fake refugees’ after Yau Ma Tei knife attack

These men were previously arrested on suspicion of possession of offensive weapons prior to the knife attack on Sunday, and were subsequently released on bail, according to the paper. They carried out the attack on Sunday whilst on bail, and were arrested when they reported to the police, as required by their bail terms.

Kwan said the suspects likely knew the victim, and they were believed to have held grievances against each other.

yau ma tei shooting

At the scene of the Yau Ma Tei knife attack. Photo: Apple Daily.

Two other attackers were still at large. Ming Pao cited a source who said that these two attackers were third generation Nepalese who hold Hong Kong identity cards and speak fluent Cantonese.

Charged with wounding

The two suspects arrested on the day of the attack were each charged with one count of wounding. They were unable to attend a hearing at the Kowloon City Magistrates’ Courts on Tuesday because they were still hospitalised. The condition of the suspect who sustained three bullet wounds has improved from critical to serious.

The hearing was postponed to Friday.

Three more arrests in connection with Yau Ma Tei knife attack