Hong Kong Politics & Protest

More than a third of young voters likely to select pro-independence election candidates – survey

More than a third of young voters surveyed said that they would likely, or definitely would, vote for a pro-independence candidate ahead of the Legislative Council election on Sunday.

The results were published by Varsity, a student publication from the Chinese University of Hong Kong’s School of Journalism and Communication. An online questionnaire was distributed between August 18 and 31 – 324 people aged between 18-30 took part in the survey. Among them, 302 were registered voters.

hong kong localist independence

File photo: Todd Darling.

Almost 13 per cent said that they would “definitely” vote for a candidate advocating “Hong Kong independence,” while 25 per cent said they were “likely” to vote, accounting for a total of 38 per cent of responses. More than 40 per cent were neutral on the matter.

varsity survey

Photo: Varsity.

41 per cent of the respondents said that they supported the localist camp the most, followed by 27 per cent for the pan-democratic camp.

Over 20 per cent also said that they had “no opinion” on the matter.

Ballot boxes

Ballot boxes. Photo: GovHK.

With over 230 votes each, the respondents thought that the political stance, policy platform, past performance, as well the candidate’s party were important criterion for deciding who to vote for. In contrast, there were only 8 votes for the preferences of family or friends.

varsity

Photo: Varsity.

Full candidate lists across districts and constituencies can be viewed here.

More than a third of young voters likely to select pro-independence election candidates - survey