The police have received eight complaints in relation to the actions of officers during Chinese official Zhang Dejiang’s visit to Hong Kong last month.
At a regular joint Independent Police Complaints Council and Complaints Against Police Office meeting on Thursday, Complaints & Internal Investigations Branch Chief Superintendent Cheung Kin-kwong said, “The first is in relation to a complainant who witnessed a police officer not crossing the road in accordance with the traffic directions when passing through Tim Wa Avenue in Central.”
“As for the other seven, to give an overview – [they include complaints that] the police’s operation wasted manpower; that after the operation the venues were dirty and the officers did not clean up the rubbish left behind; that [complainants] were obstructed from expressing their opinions; that at the Science Park a police officer had used vulgar language; that it was inappropriate to block the East Harbour Crossing Tunnel, and that the roads should not have been unreasonably blocked, and so on.”
A committee member said at the meeting that such anti-terrorism measures were reasonable as society had been in chaos, what with some advocating for Hong Kong independence, RTHK reported.
Another said that the security measures were different when Premier Li Keqiang visited Hong Kong and questioned whether the police had received a tip-off that there would be terrorists coming to Hong Kong.
The latest updates on the investigation over the Mong Kok unrest in February that broke out over the government’s clearing of street hawkers were also announced. There are now 33 complaints, with 28 of them deemed as reportable; 21 of these cases involve alleged beating by police officers.